Student Support

Engrade provides online access to the county grade book program.  Students and parents receive Engrade username and password after the child enters a new school.  Schools usually send the account home to the new incoming class about two weeks after the beginning of school.  After that point, parents must contact the school to receive an account. The central office cannot provide account information to parents or students. In the case of divorced/separated parents, both parents can have different accounts if they both have court approved access to the child.

Please remember to update your Engrade profile if you change your e-mail address.   Account names and passwords can be received by e-mail if the user forgets them.

School Messenger
School Messenger provides telephone and e-mail notification of school closings, emergencies and announcements to parents. In order to receive calls from School Messenger, your current home and/or mobile phone must be on file at your child’s school. If you have had changes in contact information, please notify your child’s principal.

Adult Learning/TASC Program

The Putnam County Adult Learning Center is located at 301 E. Roosevelt Blvd. Eleanor, WV. For more information on registering for classes call 304-586-2411.

GED has been replaced the TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion). Prep classes are available. Please call 304-586-2411 for details.

Home/Hospital Instruction
Putnam County Schools provides home, evening group-based instruction or visiting teacher services for students who are homebound due to injury or who are homebound for a period that has lasted or will last more than two (2) weeks.
Click here for information on home/hospital instruction.

Homeless Students
Putnam County Schools provides assistance to students who meet the definition of homeless as described by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. See forms in the file cabinet at the bottom of the page.

Click here for general information on attendance.

Summer Programs
Putnam County Schools offers a variety of summer support programs. Forms are available in the File Cabinet at the bottom of the page.

Advanced Placement Program

Taking Advanced Placement courses in high school can send a powerful message to colleges that you’re ready for them. A number of studies show that students who take AP courses are much more likely to complete college. In an effort to strengthen our AP program, Putnam County Schools has enacting some AP initiatives.
  • Students who take AP courses will earn a weighted grade for each course. Weighted grades make it possible for students’ grade point averages to rise above a 4.0.
  • Each student enrolled in an AP course will take the corresponding exam for the course. AP exams allow students to gain credit or advanced standing in college.
  • AP exams are scored from 1 to 5, with a score of 3 considered passing at many colleges. Putnam County students who earn a 3 or better on an exam will be refunded the full cost (approximately $83).
Students who would like to take an AP course can see a counselor to enroll or to ask questions. Please feel free to visit The College Board for more Advanced Placement information.

Early College Credit
Eligible high school students are able to begin accruing college credit by enrolling in courses offered by local institutions at Putnam County Schools sites. For more information, please contact Debbie Shrewsbury at 586-0500 ext. 1122.

Teacher Qualifications

Putnam County Schools recognizes the right of parents to request and receive information about their children’s classroom teachers and paraprofessionals. Parents may request this information from their child’s school principal.